Thursday, February 19, 2015

Utah Trip- { Shriner's Hospital}

We have avoided having any kind of botox or phenol injections for almost a year. Tyler's last set of botox made him have a seizure which put us into MONTHS of trying to figure out what was new and what was going on. We had to wait 2 rounds of botox and after that I just would HATE dealing with it.

So I avoided it. ( Mom of the year?)

Finally I just bit the bullet and started planning a trip to Utah for Phenol injections. We have been planning this stuff since October and something keeps coming up. It has been the hardest thing to deal with. At one point I may have wanted to be a quitter. ( And we don't quit!)

After the October cancellation we drove to visit. After that we were suppose to go in December and it was literally CHRISTMAS EVE!! So we moved it to January. Usually Shriner's purchases our tickets for us. But the surgery ended up on the weekend of Dallas' Birthday. So for his birthday we were going to fly together to Utah so I asked if I could make the reservation so we could go together. I waited to make sure it was a go and booked the flight on a Friday. Monday morning the Hospital called and said that Dr. Gooch was out of the country and forgot to tell the Hospital. So we had no appointment, no correct flight and a week in Utah that I didn't want to spend all by myself when I would need to go again and pay for more flights the next month. I was so frustrated.

The airline we booked on was horrible to work with. We will use them because they are so freaking cheap and are so close but seriously they sucked. After days and days on the phone, crying, on the phone again and crying more, we finally got things figured out. So off we went.

Shriner's was amazing, as always. They were the most accommodating hospital in the entire world. Not only did they have people on the phone, checks in the mail, reimbursements,  and the most amazing of all, they pushed through the credentials of another doctor to come in and perform the procedure on Tyler. Luck for us, we used the same doctor in Utah when we saw Dr. Gooch and her associate. The Associate was Dr. Ooki. We LOVE her. She did a wonderful job and was fabulous with Tyler.

So we sent our Dad off to Utah on Friday Jan. 23rd, EARLY in the morning. He drove himself to the close airport because his family purchased his ticket.  Of course the week up to leaving was filled with Drama. Not just the airline and hospital drama, but people who don't talk to you for YEARS wanting to join in the week stress and be in a place they didn't belong. I didn't  need them to be involved at all. We left Friday in the afternoon and I had both the boys and myself to get on the plane myself.

We got to Utah and went from 60 degrees to 30 degrees. We were freezing. But it was a great start to our weekend. Dallas birthday was going to be amazing. He hadn't been with all of his sisters in 2 years. We have missed a wedding and a new baby. So we were excited to see everyone.

Unfortunately, D's dad has been really sick and he landed himself back into the Hospital the day D got there. We went to Grandma Browns and got a bit settled and tried to get everyone who wanted to go with us to dinner in the right place at the right time.

We ate dinner on Friday night,  at our most favorite restaurant- Braza Grill. We LOVE it. We also got to eat with Dallas sister, Sheena and I was able to get my belly full and get my loves with our new niece Ember. ( I gave her back, but was thankful that Sheena was my most saving grace and I was able to be the baby hog!)

 Saturday we got up and went to see our Grandpa. He was still in the hospital. We got there and walked in during a blood draw. It totally shut down my Grayson. He climbed up in my lap and wouldn't talk to anyone. So Dallas took me to see my parents so that Grayson and Tyler could have lunch with them. Dallas picked us up from my sisters house and we went to our friends Amy and Todd.

 At Aunt Nicky's house... Cousin Oreo

The night we spent at Amy and Todd's  for dinner. We weren't going to stay for Dinner but as we got there, even with boogers and snot, we were having such a great time. Amy and Todd were best friends with Dallas before I came around. Amy and I became best friends over the last 9 years. Our children are not very far apart in gestational age. But the spiritual part of us, Oli is autistic. So between Tyler and Oli we have 2 kids who will be together forever in the after life. Our love and admiration for Todd and Amy has increased 100 fold.

Sunday night was an amazing night for us. Dallas dad was still super sick so he was in the hospital still. But Dallas' sisters all made dinner for his birthday. It was so so amazing of them. It was so nice to be in a beautiful home, with everyone that loves your family and kids so much. We were so thankful for the party they help for him.

The night ended and we were just so thrilled to have had the time we had with them. The next day we were going to be going over to our Aunt Sheena's  the next day. So we went back to Grandma's house and spent the last few hours together while we geared up for the next process. 

No comments: