Even though last month was the awareness month for Hydrocephalus I was a slacker. I wanted to share a few facts.
- 1 MILLION Americans live with Hydrocephalus
- All ages are affected and some are not diagnosed until later in life.
- One in every 1000 babies are born with hydrocephalus
- It is the most common reason for brain surgery in children
Although it is treatable...
- There is no cure and it is a chronic, life threatening condition
- The only know treatment is neurosurgical and the treatment hasn't changed since 1952
- 40,000 surgeries are performed each year. That is one every 15 minutes.
- In adults, this reversible dementia and gait disorder often goes untreated and undiagnosed.
There is SO much that can be done...
- Even after initial treatment, many people face repeated life surgeries and diminished quality of life.
- Surgical treatment costs exceed 1 billion per year
- Federal Government spends less that 1 MILLION per year on research.
This condition is not a fun one. It makes my tummy hurt every time we have the pukes, a fever or whatever. Shunt malfunctions slowly kill my baby. Within 12 hours of starting to malfunction he is so sick and his heart starts to slow down.
Please..... Support your local area hydrocephalus association.