A year or so ago we finally broke down and asked for a handicapped parking permit for Tyler. It was one of the hardest things that I could do. It sounds silly because it is obvious that something is "wrong" and he walks differently than others. But we look "normal" until he starts to take off on his own.
A few times we have had people stare and recently we have had a peanut gallery actually SAYING things out loud. It seems to happen when I am alone, ( of course) and it get really frustrated. I want to put on a sign that tells everyone what is "wrong" so that the stares can stop. But that isn't going to happen.
So, instead I will "share" a few pointers with the non handicapped parkers out there.
- If you REALLY want to park there, go to your doctor. Make some strange condition up and get one.
- If you are a mom it IS against the law to leave your car running and your children IN the car while parked in a handicapped parking stall.
- If you take a handicapped parking spot illegally, could you please not take one in the Van loading ones. For some that is the ONLY way they can get out.
- If you are dropping your kid off at school it is STILL illegal to park there, if even for a moment.
- The fine is large for parking in handicapped parking.
While we get that parking in handicapped parking is very appealing, especially at walmart, it is not that great. You see, there is a HUGE other part. The part that goes on at the HOMES of those that are using the parking spots. It isn't that great, or that glamorous.
I get so frustrated... Please, don't park there if you don't have a sticker or placard...