Thursday, December 9, 2010

Feeling Lucky


Ty's therapist has been working with the wheelchair shop to find a great alternative. After talking to her yesterday she sent me a name of a mom who has a stroller like we are looking at. She has never used it. Tomorrow we are going to go see if it works for us. If it does I guess we will have to see how much she is selling it for.

As I was talking to her she said her son was at a developmental level of a 6-9 month old and had global delays. She said he had some brain trauma at birth. I told her that Tyler did too. Come to find out the baby was born at 27 weeks. That is 2 weeks longer to cook than Tyler had.

I got off the phone pretty humbled. Humbled because Tyler is doing SO well. He chats up a storm all day. He talks, walks, smiles, laughs, makes jokes and has a wonderful personality. He has health issues and we have other issues but he is just a kid.

He has plenty of issues. He has plenty of life long challenges but he is still a kid. A kid I am proud of. I kid I love. A kid who makes me so proud of him.

I guess I am lucky. I never thought of myself as lucky. I am lucky that even though all the bad things happened, he is doing amazing. What a lucky mom I am.


3 comments:

Cynthia said...

That is so true! My friend has a 19 year old son with a degenerative muscle disease. She has never heard him say "I love you" or anything else. He understands but cannot speak.

How wonderful that your son has physical challenges but is still able to interact with you- like any other kid. I hope he continues to grow and develop and build a wonderful life for himself.

Unknown said...

Nothing like coming face to face with the what could have beens in our life to make us realize how grateful we are for the what actually happened.

Grandma Labrum said...

Tyler is so fun! He loves to tease us. We are so lucky to have him around.