Saturday, December 1, 2007

"Winter storm" watch..... Arizona style

You hear the words winter storm watch and it varies depending on where you live. When I lived in Indiana it meant BIG huge snow flakes and blizzards and ice storms that we so beautiful. The beauty was short lived when you walked in it or tried to drive but it was such a breath taking sight.

Living in Utah you think cold, gray skies hoping for a snow fall to make the gray better. You expect black ice and you start a fire, sit in your PJ's and sweaters and a blanket and watch it fall.

Well, we were on a Winter storm watch here. Being our first winter here I was curious as to what this entailed. Did it mean cold, ice like weather ( yeah right) or maybe snow ( not in 70 degree weather) Or did it mean it was just gonna be less sunny.

Well sometime this Friday morning it started. I woke up from my nap to hear the sound of rain and feel the cool air. The rain didn't stop till about 2 am Saturday. On my way to work all the fields were flooded, the roads were flooded, and the street by the Church had major pot holes. But it was warm. Very warm and very refreshing. I LOVE the rain, but only when it comes once in a while and is a quiet storm with no lighting and thunder.

The one thing I can't understand.... why do Arizonans act like they have no idea how to drive when the rain starts? The normal free way speed here is 80. Today it was 60 or below. Its not like in 70 degree weather the chance of Ice increases.

None the less.. the parking lot at work was a disaster and the high IQ's of some of our customers never ceased to amaze me. Who knew when you told someone that the door was locked they would still keep walking and go and check... yeah.. like I said High IQ's.

It ended great and the storm was very refreshing. It was great to spend the day in my PJ's and in a hoodie watching the "winter storm" roll in... and then roll out!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

well we have a "winter watch" here in Utah. I woke up to snow falling. I was going to go into work to put in a few hours but saw all the snow and it made my decision for me! :) It's been snowing for a few hours, everything is covered in white. And it is still coming down! maybe we will have a WHITE CHRISTMAS! I miss you guys!

Leeann said...

Yeah. Utah. Snow. 8 or more inches today. Prevented me from going to my first clinical. Apparently, it's not important to plow the high way. Who knew?
As you can tell...I'm not happy about it.
Grrrr.

Anonymous said...

Did you take those pictures? They are great! I sure miss you all!
Mom Brown