Monday, November 1, 2010

November is Prematurity Awareness Month

prematurity-ribbon

Every year 1 in 8 babies are born prematurely. Many will be to sick and to little to go home. During the month of November people across the world will be blogging to educate others about the risks of premature labor, premature birth and the risk associated with being born early.

On September 21st 2005 our lives changed when our little baby was born 15 weeks early. I was not on any high risk checklist. I was not at risk for delivering early. I had prenatal care and I didn't do drugs. But still, our world was rocked with the unexpected turn of events which changed our lives forever.

Tyler survived his early birth and was released on Dec. 23rd, 2005. One day before his due date. Though he has complications as a direct result from his prematurity and we are faced with life long disabilities, we see miracles every day.

Please join us in our fight to give babies their nine months. The FULL nine months.. 40 weeks!!

We fight because babies shouldn't have to!

4 comments:

Looking for Blue Sky said...

This is a great idea - I had no idea that 'ordinary' people could have premature babies for no apparent reason until it happened to me. It was such a shock, so the more awareness there is the better x

MoDLin said...

Thanks so much for helping to spread the word!

Preemies mean so much to us. I wanted to let you know that we will be participating in the Bloggers Unite Fight for Preemies event on November 17th, Prematurity Awareness Day. I thought you might be interested in joining us. Here’s a link for more info and to sign up to help us spread the word: http://bit.ly/a6y8hj. Nov. 17th is the day we all fight – because you're right, babies shouldn’t have to.

Anonymous said...

Hey There!
I think we have spoke in the past about our preemies. Just wanted to say hello!

Susan Bearman said...

Thank you for sharing your story. We know miracles happen because our 24-week preemie twins just celebrated their 19th birthday. I am posting the journal I kept during their 5-month NICU stay at Mike&Ollie: 24-weekers Who Beat the Odds. Much luck and love to you, from one preemie mom to another.