Monday, July 5, 2010

Freedom Day


“Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better.” Albert Camus


What a great weekend. What a great time to reflect on all the things that we have that make our life amazing and great! What a amazing country we live in where our lives CAN be better.

A song that we sang when we were little had the words " Freedom isn't Free." What great words. Throughout history wars have been fought, lives lost and freedoms fought for so that today we could have the right to choose.

I am so thankful for a Grandfather that would remind me to vote. Who reminded us that it was our patriotic duty to pick our leaders who would best represent our feelings and our views. He reminded us that we needed to pick leaders with prayer, research and who would preserve our freedom.

As a Junior I participated in Girl State. I loved it. As I stood watching the American Legion and some Reservist burn the flag, with tears flowing down my cheeks, I watched as something that I didn't realize meant so much went up in Flames.

I learned a lot about respect for our Country, the flag and also for freedoms. I am thankful that I get to chose who I want to represent me. I get to CHOOSE what things I want in my life. I get to choose what luxuries I am willing to have and elect those who best reflect me and my family.

Most of all I am thankful that I get to worship the way that I choose. Many people had to give up so many things so that I can believe in the God I believe in. Believe in the faith that I want. Attend church where I want. Best of all Worship the way I want.

" In memory of our God, our religion and freedom, and our peace, our wives, and our children" Alma 46:12


Freedom isn't free. We have to work, honor and always remember where we have been, where we are, and where we are going.

How soon we forget the past....





3 comments:

Amber said...

I agree with everything you wrote!!! I have several dear friends who have faught (or are fighting) in Iraq and Afghanistan. Several soldiers have been killed from my town (one was killed last week and he was in my stake). Freedom definantly is not free!!! It was and continues to be paid by the brave people who love this country more then their safety and lives.


4th of July has always been one of my top 2 favorite holidays. I just LOVE the music, the colors, the season, the fireworks, the family gatherings. What I LOVE most about it though is because of the REASON!!! America TRUELY is God's chosen land. She is here to do GREAT things both for Heavenly Father and for the rest of the world!!!!

Amber said...

I forgot to add that my Grandpa too makes sure we all vote. We spend weeks before the election going over all of the inititivies and canidates and talk about what we want. On the day of the election we have to go vote very first thing in the morning to make sure we have time in case of long lines. Voting is extreamly important to him and he makes sure it becomes very important to us.

Grandma Labrum said...

I still love this picture you took.