Tuesday, November 11, 2008

How has prematurity touched you?

  • In 2005, there were 522,913 preterm births in the United States, representing 12.7% of live births.
  • 1 in 8 babies are born prematurely each year.
  • In 2005, the very preterm birth rate among singletons (one baby) in the United States was 1.6%. ( very preterm is under 30 weeks)
  • Very premature babies who survive may suffer lifelong consequences, including cerebral palsy, blindness and other chronic conditions.
  • Eleven percent of newborns covered by employer health plans are born prematurely.
  • Direct health care costs to employers for a premature baby average $41,610 —15 times higher than the $2,830 for a healthy, full-term delivery.
  • Prematurity is something that has touched millions of lives. With 1 in 8 being born to early it is a cause that needs to be looked at. Tomorrow, million of Americans will be honoring those born to soon. Those with preemies will be asking you to sign the petition to go to congress to help those born early. Please consider this action. It will benefit so many.

    Along with signing the petition please consider donating to a local charity to help others. Some charity like Ronald McDonald houses or Shriner's or even your local pediatric therapy location or foundation for blind children will help benefit those born to soon. Especially those who are still suffering the effect of their incredible journey of bravery.

    How has prematurity touched your life?

    12 comments:

    Grandma Labrum said...

    How has prematurity touched my life? I was able to love Tyler in person a few months earlier than expected!

    Lisa M. said...

    Prematurity has touched my life, by hearing and sharing in other people's stories.

    I've been very grateful for being able to understand and learn more about prematurity and interact with others who have had a profound effect on their lives, due to this.

    Posh Totty said...

    Prematurity touched my life when my own son was born 7 weeks too early weighing just 3lb 5oz (1.5k) with congenital heart defects and numerous other serious health issues.

    Its a journey I will never ever forget.

    Madeleine said...

    Prematurity touched my life on April 18, 2006 when my son Spencer was born 12 weeks 4 days early. Since that day prematurity concerns and issues are a daily part of my life. I have grown as a person and have been enriched by meeting so many wonderful moms that have gone through these amazing journeys. I will never be the same.

    Ashley said...

    Hey, I think that your story is inspiring to many, our life isn't very exciting, but I think that you reach a lot of people talking about your experiences with having Tyler premature. I think I told you that my husband was born 3 months early and it was scary for them for a while, so I guess that has touch my life since we are now happily married with a little family of our own.

    Monica said...

    What a beautiful blog you have!!

    My twins were born at 30 weeks. We rode the NICU roller coaster and am so thankful for the work of the NICU doctors and nurses and the support of the March of Dimes. My girls would not be here today if it weren't for them, and for the grace of God.

    danette said...

    We have two preemies, our twins who also had TTTS so in their case arriving early was a blessing in disguise (they would not have survived much longer in the womb) but not without its challenges.

    I have a post up about prematurity awareness month with links to posts I did back in June about our story. Thanks for posting, I will be back to read more of your story.

    http://3runningincircles.com/2008/11/november-is-prematurity-awareness-month.html

    Anonymous said...

    My post on early NICU experience is still up at The Playpen http://redsparks.com/playpen/.
    Barbara

    Anonymous said...

    Yes, 4x with 4 sons.

    Blessings.

    Thank you.

    Anonymous said...

    Prematurity touched my life when my two dearest friends showed me pictures of their preemiracle! She was born at 25 weeks and is now a happy, energetic 4 year old. But not without everyday stuggles! Prematurity is something I never had to face, being a mom of a "healty" baby that was born on time, I never knew what struggles preemie parents go thru.
    Now volunteering with The Early Journey Foundation I am touched by prematurity every single day and would like the awareness to rise so these numbers can be lowered!

    Rachael said...

    One of my best friends had twins at 30 weeks 2 years ago. They were tiny, and were in the NICU for 6 and 9 weeks. They were so small and fragile, I visited the NICU a couple of times and was just amazed by the whole place. They just turned 2 and they are amazing kids - you would never even know they were born so early. It was an incredible journey for my friend, and I'm glad to have shared it with her.

    carly said...

    Prematurity changed my life for the better. Wesley came 16 weeks early and my life has never been the same. Wesley's story is so different than all the others, but so similar at the same time. Some think it is a burden to have a child who is sick all the time and will be limited in many things in life, but I look at all he has overcome in these 5 1/2 years and wouldn't change a single thing. It has made me who I am and it is making Wesley who he is. I love being a mom to a micro-preemie!